Default Font Size Icon

Student Benefits Navigator

Basic Needs for Students

We are committed to serving students with accessible and equitable services through their time at WVC. The Student Benefits Navigator is available to connect students to campus and community resources for basic needs such as childcare services, clothing, transportation, housing, food, and mental/physical health services. They can also support the access and completion of Financial Aid applications and connect eligible students to different grants offered through Wenatchee Valley College.

The Student Benefits Navigator does not have independent resources available to them, but can connect you with departments and services that can assist you during your time at WVC.

Some of the resources that the Student Benefits Navigator can connect you with are:

Working Connections Child Care

Helps eligible families pay for child care. When a family qualifies for child care subsidy benefits and chooses an eligible provider, the state pays for a portion of the cost of child care. Parents may be responsible for a copayment to their provider each month. 

Basic Food Enrollment: 

  • SNAP-
    • Federal Food Assistance
    • Helps people with low incomes make ends meet by providing monthly benefits to buy food. 
  • FAP
    • State Food Assistance
    • Provides benefits to legal immigrants who are not eligible for the federal supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) soley because of immigration Status. 

The Student Benefits Navigator can help you with the application process and prepare you for your DSHS interview. You can also apply here: Washington Connection

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office at Wenatchee Valley College is available to assist students in applying for all types of financial assistance; including grants, work study opportunities, veteran benefits, scholarships and student loans.

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid):

Government form that current and future college students can fill out to determine if they are eligible for financial aid from the federal government. It is available for students to apply each year.

By completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) you will automatically be considered for most federal and state aid and all funds that Wenatchee Valley College offers.

WASFA (Washington State Financial Aid)

Any student who does not have a social security number and wishes to apply for Washington State aid must complete a Washington State Financial Aid (WASFA) application.  Those who have an ITIN (issued by the IRS for tax purposes) should enter the ITIN in the SSN field of the WASFA.  If you have neither an SSN or ITIN, a WASFA id will be assigned to you.  

Any student with a social security number issued by the Social Security Administration (even those issued with a work restriction) may file a FAFSA, which can be used to determine eligibility for Washington state aid. 

There are four general types of aid:


Student Grants Center

The Student Grants Center has 5 grants that can help eligible students pay for their education. The Student Benefits Navigator can help you get connected to:

  • BFET:
    • The Basic Food Employment and Training program (BFET) provides services to federal Basic Food assistance recipients in Washington state. Services provided include job search assistance, education and skills training, English language instruction, and in certain cases, support for tuition, childcare, housing, supplies, and other related expenses.
  • SSEH:
    • The Supporting Students Experiencing Homelessness (SSEH) Grant assists students experiencing homelessness and housing insecurity, or students that were in foster care at the time of graduating from high school.
    • ANY current Wenatchee Valley College student who meets one of the eligibility requirements may be able to receive support from this grant, regardless of which program you are enrolled in. 

To see if you qualify for any of the grants offered at the Student Grants Center, please fill out their interest survey at the link below. A staff member will reach out to you with more information on your eligibility.

Student Grants Center Interest Survey


Emergency Grants

The WVC Counseling Department has emergency grants available for eligible students who need assistance with tuition, fees, books, technology needs, course materials, food, housing, gas, unexpected auto repairs, daycare, and other expenses. 

If you would like to get in contact with them directly, please contact WVC Counseling at 

The Student Benefits Navigator can help you get connected to community housing supports (Chelan, Douglas, and Okangogan County). 

  • HopeSource:
    • If you are experiencing homelessness or concerned about staying in your current housing, the Homeless Housing Network can help. A client advocate will assist you.  
  • Chelan Valley Hope:
    • Provides assistance, advocacy, and referral service to under-resourced families and individuals throughout the Greater Chelan Valley. Helping individuals and families in crisis access basic needs like emergency shelter, utilities and rent assistance, food and transportation vouchers, food, clothing, and other social and health services. 
  • Chelan Douglas Community Action Council/Okanogan County Community Action Council:
    • Provides assistance with home repair, housing, weatherization.  
  • The Women's Resource Center:
    • Provides individuals and families experiencing poverty and homelessness with the housing and supportive services they need to be part of a healthy, diverse community.
  • YWCA:
    • Provides emergency, transitional, and permanent supportive housing services.
  • FYRE
    • Foundation for Youth Resiliency & Engagement
    • Serves people ages 12-24 across Okanogan County
    • Covers four areas: 1) education, 2) physical and mental health, 3) basic needs and 4) resiliency programming. 

For more information on other available resources, please fill out the Needs/Assistance Intake form or send an email at

The Student Benefits Navigator can help you get connected to the Knights Kupboard and community food pantries/banks.

Knights Kupboard:

  • Wenatchee:
    • When: Tuesdays 10:00am -1:00pm and Thursdays  from 12:00 -3:00 p.m. 
    • To access the WVC campus food pantry outside of normal operating hours, please send an email at or click on the link to schedule your visit with a WVC Counselor: Knight's Kupboard Access
  • Omak: 
    • When: Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00-1:00. Refer to the administration desk for access at other times during the week. 
    • Where: Administration building (downstairs), room 121.


Community Food Pantries:

Upper Valley Mend: Community Cupboard

  • Thrift store, food pantry (priority to healthy foods). Open for anyone.  
  • Open Mon-Sat 11:00-5:00pm  
  • Location: 219 14th St., Leavenworth, WA  
  • Phone: 509-548-6727  

Lake Chelan Food Bank

  • Hours: Tuesday and Saturday 9am-10am 
  • Location: 417 S Bradley St, Chelan, WA 98816 
  • Phone: 509-368-4151 

Entiat Valley Community Services Food Bank

  • They use Facebook to notify when the next food bank is. Usually has them Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.  
  • Directions: 2084 Entiat Way, Entiat, WA 98822  
  • Phone: 509-888-3999 
  • Entiat Valley Food Bank 

Community Action Council 

Okanogan County Community Action Council  

  • Provides food banks, basic food, also distributes food to different pantries (listed below). 
  • Location: 307 S Main Street, Omak, WA 98841  
  • Phone: 509-422-4041 


  • 301 South 4th St. (by the catholic church)
  • Every Thursdays from 9am - 10:30am


  • 219 N. Main St. 
  • Every 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month from 8am until delivered 


  • 37 Lakes Street  
  • Monday-Friday from 7:30am-4pm (closed 11:30am-12:30pm) 


  • Okanogan County Community Action Council: 424 2nd Ave S 
  • Tuesdays from 9am-12pm 


  • 101 W 4th Ave 
  • Tuesdays from 9am-12pm 


  • 922 Main St. PO BOX 471 
  • Thursdays from 9:30am-11:30am 


  • 101 Hwy 97 N 
  • Thursdays from 9am-11am 


  • The Cove, 128 Glover St 
  • Thursdays from 1pm-4pm 


  • Community Hall, 129 Toroda Creek Rd 
  • Every second and fourth Thursday of the month.  
  • 1pm until delivered

*Please refer to the OCCAC website for updates on hours and days. 

For more information on other available food pantries, please fill out the Needs/Assistance Intake form or send an email at 

Getting Connected: 

If you would like to get connected with the Student Benefits Navigator, please fill out the Needs/Assistance Intake Form using the link below (or scan the QR code). They will reach out with more information on resources available to you. You can also schedule an appointment with the Student Benefits Navigator by clicking on the "Book a time to meet" link. 


QR code image
Magali Olguin Ramos
Mish ee twie 1121B

*This is a new position all across Washington State, placed by the Washington State Legislature (Second Substitute House Bill 1559 [2023]). By law, all Community and Technical Colleges have to have a benefits navigator to create a single point of contact for students to access resources for their basic needs. Student basic needs consist of food, water, shelter, clothing, physical health, mental health, childcare, or similar needs that students enrolled at an institution of higher education, tribal college, or community or technical college may face difficulty with, and that hinders their ability to begin or continue their enrollment.

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English.  Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (833) 620-1071, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to:

  1. mail:
    Food and Nutrition Service, USDA
    1320 Braddock Place, Room 334
    Alexandria, VA 22314; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

De acuerdo con la ley federal de derechos civiles y las normas y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de los Estados Unidos (USDA), esta entidad está prohibida de discriminar por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo (incluyendo identidad de género y orientación sexual), credo religioso, discapacidad, edad, creencias políticas, o represalia o retorsión por actividades previas de derechos civiles.

La información sobre el programa puede estar disponible en otros idiomas que no sean el inglés. Personas con discapacidad que requieran medios alternos de comunicación para obtener información sobre el programa (por ejemplo, Braille, letra grande, cinta de audio, lenguaje de señas americano), debe ponerse en contacto con la agencia (estatal o local) donde solicitaron los beneficios. Las personas sordas, con dificultades auditivas o con discapacidades del habla pueden comunicarse con el USDA a través del Servicio Federal de Retransmisión al (800) 877- 8339.

Para presentar una queja por discriminación en el programa, el reclamante debe llenar un formulario AD-3027, formulario de queja por discriminación en el programa del USDA que puede obtenerse en línea en:, en cualquier oficina del USDA, llamando al (833) 620-1071, o escribiendo una carta dirigida al USDA. La carta debe contener el nombre del demandante, la dirección, el número de teléfono y una descripción escrita de la acción discriminatoria alegada con suficiente detalle para informar al Subsecretario de Derechos Civiles (ASCR) sobre la naturaleza y fecha de una presunta violación de derechos civiles. El formulario AD-3027 completado o la carta debe presentarse por:

  1. correo:
    Food and Nutrition Service, USDA
    1320 Braddock Place, Room 334
    Alexandria, VA 22314; o
  2. fax:
    (833)-256-1665, o (202)-690-7442; o
  3. correo electrónico:

Esta institución es un proveedor que brinda igualdad de oportunidades.